The most fun part of a giant cupcake cake is, of course, the cupcake decorations! Here are my favorite tips for giant cupcake decorations, including links to pictures and creative ways to incorporate things you may already have in your pantry.
My favorite giant cupcake decoration is to make a faux giant cupcake wrapper out of your favorite scrapbook paper. I think anyone with a giant cupcake pan should give this one a try. With hundreds of colors and patterns to choose from, this lets you theme or color coordinate your giant cupcake to any party setup. Here is how you do it:
- Simply pick out your favorite color or pattern of scrapbook paper, make alternating creases in it just like how you use to make paper fans when you were a little kid.
- While folded, trim this piece of scrapbook paper to be the height of the bottom part of your giant cupcake.
- Lightly frost the bottom part of your cupcake. You may want to do this before you add the top layer, for ease of reaching all around it without bumping into the top while you add your cupcake decorations.
- Gently press the scrapbook paper around the cake, using the frosting as glue. Be sure to keep the scrapbook paper creased tightly enough to emulate the look of an actual cupcake wrapper.
- You’ll need to use at least two pieces of scrapbook paper, depending on the exact size of your cupcake cake and how creased you would like the fake wrapper to appear.
- To serve, just peel off the cupcake wrapper and cut the cake as usual.
- You can match the cupcake decorations on the top of your giant cupcake to the colors and patterns in the fake wrapper.
Click here to see photos of giant cupcake cakes – over 100 users have uploaded photos of their giant cupcakes, including several who used scrapbook paper as a cupcake decoration as described above. I love scrolling through these pictures and coming up with new ideas for cupcake decorations.
- Wilton Jumbo Daisies Sprinkles Cupcake Decorations
- Wilton Jumbo Confetti Sprinkles Cupcake Decorations
- Wilton Jumbo Stars Sprinkles Cupcake Decorations
I love polka dots, and they are very popular cupcake decorations right now. Depending on the color and theme of your giant cupcake, here are a few choices you may already have in your pantry that you can consider using to create polka dots on your cake:
- Sprees or Giant Sweet Tarts
- Full-sized Oreos
- Mini Oreos, or other snack-sized cookies
- Vanilla wafers
- Peanut butter mini crackers
- Bubble gum or gumdrops
Other common pantry items that can be used as cupcake decorations include:
- Vanilla wafers – in addition to making polka dots, they are great crumbled up to create sand on or around a beach-themed cake.
- Twizzlers – use them to make lines in images you create on top of the cupcake, place horizontal lines on the bottom part of the cupcake to create the illusion of a cupcake wrapper, etc. The pull-apart versions work especially well for this.
- Hot cocoa mix – sprinkle on top for a tasty, fun finish.
Don’t forget to click here to view pictures of giant cupcake decorations – there are over 100 photos of giant cupcakes. Some of them are really creative and out-of-the box – certainly things I wouldn’t have thought of on my own – so take a look and see if you can find some inspiration for your next giant cupcake creation!